Pirates go top with five star performance against ten man Arlesey

Image: Real Bedford FC

Braces apiece for Mo Ahmed and Ben Stevens saw Real Bedford go top of the Spartans South Midlands Premier Division with a comfortable 5-0 victory against Arlesey Town on Saturday.

On a wet afternoon at McMullen Park, which saw a deluge of rain just before kick off delaying the start by half an hour, Real put their best foot forward in another commanding performance that sees them top of the league on goal difference.

Mo Ahmed opened the scoring after just nine minutes after he was the first to react to a Joey Evans shot that was parried out and from there, Real never looked back.

Ben Stevens scored his first of the afternoon in almost identical fashion after 17 minutes and by the half hour mark, it was 3-0 as Stevens added to his tally.

By half-time, it was four and game over as another Evans shot found a defender, only for it to deflect in leaving the Town keeper stranded.

Abandonments benefit Bedford

Ahmed also scored his second goal of the game in the second half from a tight angle to cement another good afternoon’s work for Rob Sinclair’s side before Arlesey compounded their misery by seeing Will McLelland sent off late on.

There was also a special moment for Ben Walsh; the Real player coming off the bench for his first appearance in fifteen months following a serious injury at the start of last season.

The win puts Real Bedford top of the league on goal difference from MK Irish after 11 wins from 13 games, although they had a fortunate midweek abandonment to thank as well.

Rob Sinclair saw his side 2-0 down at an organised Stansted side on Tuesday night, but a floodlight failure shortly into the second half forced the hand of the referee who abandoned the game, despite there being signs that the lights were coming back on.

Lee Bircham’s side were 1-0 down when the heavy rain decided to play a part Image: Adrian Brown / Bedford Town FC

Bedford Town were also on the right side of an abandoned game on Saturday as their Southern League Central Division One tie at home to Aylesbury was abandoned at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch.

The Eagles were 1-0 down thanks to a Jack Green own goal but the game was called off before the second half started, meaning Bedford Town remain top of the table by three points from North Leigh.

Keep Local news Alive in Bedfordshire