Man jailed after driving to Bedford Station for sex with 14 -year-old boy

4830
Bedford station

A man from Peterborough has today been jailed for 16 months after he drove to Bedford Station, expecting to meet a 14 year old boy for sex.

Bruno Sucena from Peterborough had been communicating with someone called ‘Harry’ last August on the gay online dating site, Grindr.

He understood ‘Harry’ to be a 14-year-old boy.

Luton Crown Court heard today (Monday), that ‘Harry’ didn’t exist and it was the name being used by an undercover police officer in an operation to target those looking to groom and sexually abuse young people.

Sucena told officers as he was detained at the railway station, “I know I shouldn’t and I normally reject the younger ones.”

The 37-year-old from Bowness Way in Peterborough appeared at Luton crown court where he pleaded guilty to arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence, engaging in sexual communications with a child and possessing a knife which was found by the officers in his car in the station car park.

Prosecutor Gabriel McAvock said the defendant had been communicating with Harry on Grindr and on learning Harry was 14 years old, he replied in a message, “Cool. Virgin?”

Miss McAvock said Sucena sent images of an erect penis to Harry during a period from 12 August 12 to 22 August 2019.

Then, after arranging to meet the teenager for sex, he set off for the rendezvous at Bedford Railway Station on 22 August last year.

Judge Barbara Mensah, hearing the case, was told Sucena was found to be carrying a container of lubricant and, on his mobile phone, officer’s found the chat logs relating to his contact with Harry.

The prosecutor said it was when officers carried out a search of the defendant’s car that they found a knife in the driver’s door pocket.

Interviewed by officers at Kempston police station Sucena admitted he had gone to meet the boy with the intention or having oral and anal sex.

He said he had forgotten the knife was in the car.

He was jailed for a total of 16 months and made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order for the next 10 years.

His name was also added to the sex offenders register for the same period and he was banned from working with under the age of 16.

Now more than ever, we need your help to fund the Bedford Independent’s quality journalism that serves our community...

We choose to champion editorial independence, meaning we report the facts without bias and can stand up to those in power when we believe it’s needed.

We can give a voice to people in our community whose voices may otherwise not be heard. And we don’t have a paywall, so everyone can read the stories we publish for free.

But in this time of crisis, many news organisations all over the world are facing existential threat, with advertising revenues plummeting. We’re no different.

We work hard every day to bring you news, commentary, entertainment and announcements from across Bedford. We hope that, with your help, we’ll be able to continue this for many years to come.

Will you help sustain our work today by clicking below ? Even a small donation makes a difference for our future.

Thank you for your support.