Bedfordshire Fire crews were in attendance at Sainsbury’s in the Saxon Centre, Kempston on Monday (4 July) after a fire broke out.
The store signage and part of the fascia was damaged in the incident and the shop and petrol station were closed until fire teams gave the all-clear.
The fire coincided with the major incident at Redwood Grove off Elstow Road, meaning crews from Biggleswade were deployed.
In a statement, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “An appliance from Biggleswade attended the scene and worked quickly to extinguish the fire.
“The large shop lettering (approx. 75m x 75m) and aluminium cladding was fire damaged. Crews checked the surrounding area for fire spread using a thermal imaging camera. The incident was then handed back to Sainsbury’s management team.”
Now more than ever, we need your help to fund the Bedford Independent’s quality journalism that serves our community...
We choose to champion editorial independence, meaning we report the facts without bias and can stand up to those in power when we believe it’s needed.
We can give a voice to people in our community whose voices may otherwise not be heard. And we don’t have a paywall, so everyone can read the stories we publish for free.
But in this time of crisis, many news organisations all over the world are facing existential threat, with advertising revenues plummeting. We’re no different.
We work hard every day to bring you news, commentary, entertainment and announcements from across Bedford. We hope that, with your help, we’ll be able to continue this for many years to come.
Will you help sustain our work today by clicking below ? Even a small donation makes a difference for our future.