Council tell Bedford festival organisers to open phone line for noise complaints

1057
The Original Culture Festival is planned for 13 August 2022 Image: Original Culture/Facebook
The Original Culture Festival is planned for 13 August 2022 Image: Original Culture/Facebook

A phone line to report excessive noise will be manned throughout the duration of a planned music festival in Bedford Priory Park, says the council.

Bedford Borough Council’s licensing sub-committee discussed the plans for the Original Culture annual music festival at a meeting yesterday (17 May).

This year’s event, on 13 August, will be for just one day.

And the application for live and recorded music and dance performances and sale of alcohol came before the committee following an objection from Environmental Health – which has since been withdrawn.

Sheila Thomson, team leader for licensing, said that an agreement was reached on Monday between the Environmental Health Service and the applicant.

“However as that agreement was reached less than 24 hours ago, the application must be determined by the licensing sub-committee,” she said.

Catherine Painter, team leader, health, safety & licensing, said: “I apologise for the lateness of our objection being withdrawn.

“The paperwork, that was submitted late on Wednesday last week, has been reviewed.

“And as such we’re happy to withdraw our representation on the basis of the information submitted and the agreement to the conditions proposed in the appendix to our report.

“There’s still some work to be done, but it’s not of a nature which will require us to maintain our objection.

“We will continue to work with the organisers to advise them of those additional minor steps which need to be taken,” she added.

Frank Fender, licensing consultant for the applicant, said his clients were in “total agreement” with these changes.

“There is a further safety advisory group meeting taking place on May 26, through which further additional information and advice will be given,” he said

A phone number will be manned during the event for residents to report any excessive noise – which will be published online and via a letter drop.

The decision on whether or not the license will be granted will be published on the council’s website.

by John Guinn
Local Democracy Reporter

 

Update: This article was updated on 19 May 2022 at 09:00. We amended the original headline ‘Council phone lines ready for Bedford festival noise complaints” to make it clear the phone line would not be put in place by the council but would in fact be managed by the festival organisers. This was not clear in the copy sent to us and we are happy to make this correction.

Now more than ever, we need your help to fund the Bedford Independent’s quality journalism that serves our community...

We choose to champion editorial independence, meaning we report the facts without bias and can stand up to those in power when we believe it’s needed.

We can give a voice to people in our community whose voices may otherwise not be heard. And we don’t have a paywall, so everyone can read the stories we publish for free.

But in this time of crisis, many news organisations all over the world are facing existential threat, with advertising revenues plummeting. We’re no different.

We work hard every day to bring you news, commentary, entertainment and announcements from across Bedford. We hope that, with your help, we’ll be able to continue this for many years to come.

Will you help sustain our work today by clicking below ? Even a small donation makes a difference for our future.

Thank you for your support.