Body recovered from Redwood Grove as police gain access after explosion

5514
The flats at Redwood Grove, Bedford, following a major gas explosion. Image: Twitter/BFRS
The flats at Redwood Grove, Bedford, following a major gas explosion. Image: Twitter/BFRS

The body of a person known to have been killed in the Redwood Grove explosion in Bedford on Monday (4 July) has been recovered after police gained access to the buildings.

Structural engineers, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and specialist teams supported the police in helping them gain access last night (Thursday), so the body of the one person who is known to have died in the incident could finally be recovered.

A post-mortem is due to be held today.

While formal identification is yet to take place, officers are supporting the victim’s next of kin.

Floral tributes left for the victim were also moved closer to the flats now the wider cordon has been removed.

The news comes as some people have been told they can return to homes adjacent to the block of flats destroyed by the explosion.

Read: People start returning home to Redwood Grove after explosion

“Tragedy”

Chief Superintendent John Murphy, from Bedfordshire Police, said: “It is a tragedy that one person has lost their life and our thoughts are very much with their loved ones.

“While we cannot currently physically enter the building to carry out a proper search, based on our investigations so far, and the information we have received, we do not believe there is anybody else unaccounted for, either as residents or visitors.

“It is a tragedy that one person has lost their life and our thoughts are very much with their loved ones.

“However, it’s welcome that we can be cautiously optimistic that there will be no further victims.”

An information centre has been set up for people to get in touch, report any concerns or find out about family members.

Concerned family and friends can also call 0800 051 6085.

All the latest updates can be found at dedicated Redwood Grove pages on the Bedfordshire Police website.

Now more than ever, we need your help to fund the Bedford Independent’s quality journalism that serves our community...

We choose to champion editorial independence, meaning we report the facts without bias and can stand up to those in power when we believe it’s needed.

We can give a voice to people in our community whose voices may otherwise not be heard. And we don’t have a paywall, so everyone can read the stories we publish for free.

But in this time of crisis, many news organisations all over the world are facing existential threat, with advertising revenues plummeting. We’re no different.

We work hard every day to bring you news, commentary, entertainment and announcements from across Bedford. We hope that, with your help, we’ll be able to continue this for many years to come.

Will you help sustain our work today by clicking below ? Even a small donation makes a difference for our future.

Thank you for your support.