Bedford Town eliminated from FA Cup at The Eyrie

Bedford Town defend a corner against Gorleston in the 2nd QR of the FA Cup
Bedford Town have been knocked out of the FA Cup in the second qualifying round for two seasons in a row Image: Adrian Brown

Bedford Town were knocked out of the FA Cup by Gorleston FC after a tough match for the Eagles at the Eyrie with goals from Jesse Akubuine and Adam Cunnington not enough as Gorleston advance to the third qualifying round.

The game got off to a tight start with both sides competing as Ryan Blake and Alex Collard both had chances but nothing materialised as neither side could break the deadlock early on.

Gorleston had a brilliant chance to take the lead before half time, but Mark Smith in the Bedford goal made two great saves to keep the scores level at the interval.

Two minutes into the second half, the Eagles took the lead. A shot from Adam Watkins deflected towards Jesse Akubuine who rifled his shot into the back of the net.

Minutes later, Gorleston equalised. A shot from Luke Johnson was blocked before falling to Alby Matthews who converted past the Bedford goalkeeper to level the score at 1-1.

Soon after, the away side took the lead. Some good work down the wing enabled Henry Pollock to get on the ball and calmly slot it away to give Gorleston the advantage.

Both sides were pushing but it was Gorleston who got the next goal with eight minutes of play remaining. A defensive error from the Eagles meant the ball fell into the path of Alby Matthews who finished past the goalkeeper to make it 3-1 to the visitors.

Five minutes into injury time, Bedford got a goal back and deservedly so. Adam Cunnington got the goal as he touched the ball down in the box and swivelled past a few defenders before firing into the bottom corner.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t enough for Bedford as Gorleston advanced to the next round of the cup. Up next, the Eagles travel to Essex in the FA Trophy to face Bowers & Pitsea.

Words by Zac Neal