The much-anticipated re-opening of the Barkers Lane Tidy Tip has been announced for Monday 11 May, but bookings to visit the site must be made in advance.
The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) on Barkers Lane was closed on 24 March as a result of coronavirus safety measures.
There will be changes to how the Tidy Tip operates, to ensure it can open in a safe way.
- Access to the tip will be via a one way system on Barkers Lane accessed only from Newnham Avenue.
- To ensure the site is not overwhelmed and so that everyone can follow social distancing guidelines, anyone planning to visit must book a slot.
- There will be 15 minute slots available which must be booked at least a day before you plan to visit, and will be available to book up to 14 days in advance.
- You will be asked to show your booking to a member of staff, it does not need to be printed; on a phone screen will be accepted. Anyone coming to the HWRC without a booking will be turned away
- To book a slot to visit the HWRC, please call 01234 718013. For more information about visiting the site or how to book a slot, please visit www.bedford.gov.uk/hwrc
If you visit, you will see that there is a new layout at the HWRC. This is to make sure that people do not have to walk past each other to get to the different bays, so they can keep social distancing.
Restriction on vehicles and types of waste
Due to this new layout, larger vehicles will not be allowed to visit the HWRC to begin with.
Initially, only cars, 4x4s and small vans, up to 1500kgs, will be allowed into the tip. This new layout also means that containers cannot be emptied or the site cleaned effectively during opening hours so the HWRC will be open from 9am-5pm, 7 days a week, to give staff time to do these tasks at the beginning and end of the day.
There will be a reduction in the types of waste that can be disposed of at the HWRC. The following items only can be accepted:
- general rubbish
- garden waste
- small electrical appliances
- small items of furniture
Any other waste including fridge/freezers, DIY waste or textiles will not be accepted as a number of disposal sites are still closed.
To ensure that everyone is safe and social distancing, site staff will not be able to help people unload items from their vehicles.
To book a slot to visit the HWRC, please call 01234 718013. For more information about visiting the site or how to book a slot, please visit www.bedford.gov.uk/hwrc