Bedford Girls’ School has been ranked as the second best independent school for sport by School Sport Magazine.
While the school placed 8th generally, against all coeducational and single sex independent schools, its sports offering took silver against all other schools in 2018.
Mrs Axford, Director of Sport, said it was down to commitment of the students and the passion for sport at the school: “We are immensely proud of the girls for achieving such outstanding results in regional and national competitions across a number of different sports.
“However, most importantly it is also our great strength in depth, where all girls are consistently encouraged to achieve their potential which shines through on a daily basis in school sport at BGS.”
2018 saw the school achieve a wide variety of local, regional and national titles across a range of disciplines from athletics, hockey, lacrosse, netball, rounders, rowing, swimming and tennis.
Most notably these included reaching the National Finals in netball, swimming and tennis. The 1st Lacrosse team qualified for the South East Finals and the U13 rounders team became National School Champions.
- In hockey the 1st XI have reached the final 16 of the England Hockey National Schools competition.
- The U13 hockey and netball teams have reached the semi-finals of both the hockey and netball Independent Schools Cup competitions all of which continue this term.
- The U16 netball team are regional champions competing for the National title in March and the lacrosse teams are also looking forward to their National Schools competition before Easter.
- Over 60 girls are on regional and national pathway programmes or play at national level, including, a GB track cyclist; England water polo player; England U16 Hockey player; five players in Wasps Netball Hub; twelve regional academy lacrosse players; three regional hockey performance centre players and thirty Junior County Hockey Academy centre players.
- An Upper Sixth golf player is English Girls’ Champion of Champions and an U10 is National Golf Champion.