Second half comeback not enough as Rovers fall to defeat in Welwyn

Image: Kempston Rovers

Kempston Rovers were edged out on a wretched night in Hertfordshire, after a first half brace from home captain Dave Keenlyside proved to be enough as Welwyn managed to resist Kempston’s second half fightback.

The game was in doubt right up until 7pm as the referee demanded an army of volunteers to fork the pitch and drain away the surface water, although it was still saturated come kick off time.

Rovers very nearly upset the apple cart early on, Jordan Wright hitting the post from a teasing corner, but it was shortly after the quarter hour that Rovers were undone. 

A long ball deceived the entire defence and Max Marsh was judged to have collided with Watson and a penalty was given; with Keenlyside dispatched it low into the net. 

Michael Hudson produced a fine save to keep the score at one nil after the hosts made light of the terrible conditions to create intricate passes on the edge of the box. 

Keenlyside doubled the score shortly afterward, unleashing a curling beauty into the top corner via the post. He could’ve had a hattrick to his name but a third effort crashed off the post shortly before the break.

After the interval, Kempston came out possessed and halved the deficit within minutes of the restart. A left wing cross was flicked on by Andrew Phillips to a grateful Sam Johnson, who gleefully thumped home from close range.

Celebrations were cut short though as within three minutes, Welwyn restored their two goal advantage, Callum Stead stabbing in after a failed clearance.  Shortly after the hour, Kempston managed to rally enough to find a second goal, Johnson surging forward down the right and cutting back across the box, where Ben Baker was on hand to find the net and make it three two. 

Welwyn sub Hani Berchiche dashed any thought of an unlikely draw when he headed in the fourth for the hosts with less than fifteen minutes to play.  Kempston pressed to get back in the game again, but to no avail.

Rovers left the pitch muddied, bloodied and beaten, but not defeated as the second half performance gave plenty of positives to take into this weekend’s local derby at Bedford Town.


1 Hudson, 2 Marsh, 3 Hyde, 4 Wright ©, 5 Bailey, 6 Nicholls, 7 Johnson, 8 Goodman, 9 Phillips, 10 Dahie, 11 Baker

Subs 14 Stratton (unused Birch, Shortt, Hunt)


1 Tavares, 2 Ebengo, 3 Sexton, 4 Close, 5 Njie, 6 Rolfe, 7 Stead, 8 Payne, 9 Watson, 10 Keenlyside ©, 11 Opoku

Subs 12 Berchiche, 14 Matthews, 15 Taylor (unused Smaldone, Pant)

Attendance – 52

Rovers Man of the Match – Sam Johnson

Words by Matthew Wilmot

Contribution Orange new email

Now more than ever, we need your help to fund the Bedford Independent’s quality journalism that serves our community...

We choose to champion editorial independence, meaning we report the facts without bias and can stand up to those in power when we believe it’s needed.

We can give a voice to people in our community whose voices may otherwise not be heard. And we don’t have a paywall, so everyone can read the stories we publish for free.

But in this time of crisis, many news organisations all over the world are facing existential threat, with advertising revenues plummeting. We’re no different.

We work hard every day to bring you news, commentary, entertainment and announcements from across Bedford. We hope that, with your help, we’ll be able to continue this for many years to come.

Will you help sustain our work today by clicking below ? Even a small donation makes a difference for our future.

Thank you for your support.