Fire services were called to the site of a former middle school in Kempston yesterday evening (Sunday) when two fires broke out in the derelict buildings.
Robert Bruce Middle School – which closed in 2017 – was also the location of a major fire incident just three months ago.
In a statement, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Yesterday [we] were called to a building fire at 17:02 in the derelict former Robert Bruce school on Bedford Road, Kempston.
“One fire engine was sent from Bedford and one from Kempston. They found two seats of fire and extinguished them using buckets and a backpack sprayer. Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus, and a thermal imaging camera was also used to help locate the fires.”
The site on Bedford Road is the proposed location of a new purpose-built special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) school.
A council spokesperson said that the new school is “an essential part of their commitment to support children and young people in Kempston and across Bedford Borough with SEND.”
There have been three fires at the school in the last year.