Man left with life-changing injuries as Sharnbrook explosion investigation continues

Specialist police officers in protective uniform at the scene of the explosion in Sharnbrook
Specialist officers at the scene in Sharnbrook (image: Bedfordshire Police)

Emergency services are continuing to investigate the explosion which took place at a residential property in Sharnbrook earlier this week, leaving a man with life-changing injuries.

A specialist explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team has been leading searches at a house in Loring Road following the incident at around 7.40pm on Monday (10 April).

The incident is being treated as isolated, with no risk to the wider public.

A man in his 40s remains in Addenbrooke’s Hospital following the explosion having suffered life-changing injuries

He was arrested on suspicion of offences under the Explosive Substances Act, but Bedfordshire Police say he is yet to be interviewed due to his treatment.

Read: Man in his 40s arrested with serious injuries following Sharnbrook explosion

Searches at the address are expected to continue over the coming days and three neighbouring properties have been evacuated as a precaution.

Bedfordshire Police is leading the investigation, with support from the Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit.

Due to the nature of the incident, Counter Terrorism Policing has deployed resources with access to specialist capabilities to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

Detective Superintendent Will Hodgkinson from Bedfordshire Police, who is leading the operation, said: “Incidents of this nature are understandably of great concern to local communities and I wish to thank everyone for their patience, cooperation and understanding.

“This is especially true of those residents who have had to move elsewhere while we carry out our enquiries.

“While our investigation remains at an early stage and we are keeping an open mind, this is believed to be an isolated incident with no risk to the wider public.

“An emergency services presence is likely to remain at the scene for much of the rest of the week, and we’ll continue to progress with our investigation as quickly as we can whilst we get to the bottom of what has happened.”

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to report it via or call 101.