Firefighters urge people to register their appliances

58

This Saturday 26 January, firefighters from Bedford Community Fire Station will be at Currys on Rope Walk, Bedford, encouraging people to register their electrical appliances to be sure they are aware of recalls and safety warnings.

Less than a third of large white goods are registered when they are purchased (average 31%), meaning owners are unaware of recalls or safety warnings about their fridges, freezers, washing machines, dryers and cooking appliances.

In addition two thirds (67%) of people have never registered an older appliance that they may have bought a couple of years ago, found in their homes when they moved in, were given by family or friends, or bought second-hand.

This means that if a fault is discovered with these appliances people will continue to use them completely unaware of the risks and not taking advantage of safety repairs if needed. So great is the risk that many leading manufacturers are offering prize draws or incentives to encourage owners to get their older appliances registered.

Firefighters will be explaining the risks to consumers at Currys, Bedford and encouraging them to take a few minutes on www.registermyappliance.org.uk  to register the large appliances they rely on every day to handle essential chores, chill food and cook for their families.

Everyone is invited to come along and meet the firefighters between 10am and 4pm at Currys, Rope Walk, Bedford, and find out more about staying safe in their homes.

Find out more about registering your appliances here: bit.ly/2sHQEhf