Fire sweeps through nightclub on Lurke Street, Bedford


Bedfordshire Fire Service say the fire at Six’s nightclub on Lurke Street started in an air conditioning unit in the roof of the building.

Four pumps were called to the scene at about 11:30 this morning, when flames and smoke were spotted by people in the town’s CCTV control room and they called 999.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building to tackle the blaze while an aerial jet provided a covering jet. The aerial platform is also in use.

No one was injured although neighbouring shops, including Lidl supermarket were evacuated as a precaution.

The blaze was under control in about an hour with shops within the cordon reopening not long afterwards.

Eyewitnesses say smoke had entered the Lidl shop but it’s not thought to have caused any damage.

Fire crews say that the nightclub suffered a lot of smoke damage but were still carrying out an assessment to see what direct fire damage had been caused.

The club, which has been a popular Bedford nighttime destination for many years has been known as Winkles, Limehaus and The Pad had recently reopened as Six’s.

This is an update of a
previously breaking news story

Support Local Independent News