Body found at Carlton farm “was fatally choked” court heard

Kamil Leszczynki (image: Bedfordshire Police)

A man whose body was dumped in a ditch on a farm in Carlton died from having his airways blocked by a gag, a jury was told yesterday (Tuesday).

Pole, Kamil Leszczynski, 33, was fatally choked when a vest tied in a knot was thrust into his mouth.

The former shoe warehouse worker, who was living in Wellingborough, was found with his wrists bound by a phone cable charger on 1 July last year in a ditch on Valley View Farm, Carlton.

Read: Tributes paid to Wellingborough man found in fields between Carlton and Turvey

Prosecutor Eloise Marshall QC told Luton crown court that DNA found on the vest came from the defendant, 40-year-old Lukasz Stachura.

She said: “It is the crown’s case that Mr Stachura murdered Kamil Leszczynski and deposited his body where it was found some days later.

“A pathologist indicated his airway had been obstructed by a gag which had forced his tongue back. A head injury suggested he may have been unconscious either prior to or at the time the gag was put in his mouth.”

Stachura, a trained boxer of Gold Street, Wellingborough, pleaded not guilty to murdering Kamil Leszczynski between 26 June and 2 July last year.

Ms Marshall said the dead man had been seen on CCTV in Wellingborough at 8pm on 27 June and he made his last phone call at eighteen minutes past eight that evening.

She alleged Stachura’s DNA was also found on clothing worn by the victim. Grasses and leaves from the area where the body was found were said to be discovered on his red Vauxhall Astra.

The body was found on a farm between Carlton and Turvey (photo credit: South Beds News Network)

The prosecutor said that CCTV from Emmaus Village Shop in Carlton showed a car that matched the defendant’s travelling along the road.

Ms Marshall said Kamil Leszczynski was described as a quiet man who never looked for trouble. He had been living in a house of multi-occupancy.

He had worked in a shoe warehouse, but at the time he died was not working and was known as a member of Wellingborough’s street drinking community.

She said the defendant, who is also Polish, had told a friend he did not like the victim.

On the day before he disappeared, the defendant and the victim had been seen outside a shop in Wellingborough. “He (Stachura) was seen to be violent and aggressive towards him,” said the prosecutor.

The case is proceeding.