Seven Bedfordshire pharmacies will be the first to deliver life-saving jabs as the NHS accelerates its coronavirus programme throughout the borough this week.
The Beds based stores will provide more vaccination opportunities, which will be a relief to residents due to the rise of the Indian variant.
Next week, 22 pharmacies across Luton and Milton Keynes will join the programme to protect against COVID-19.
Bedford pharmacies included in the first phase are:
- Bedford Pharmacy, 9 Greenhill Street, Bedford, MK40 1LX
- Kidman’s Surgical Chemist, 141-143 Castle Rd, Bedford MK40 3RS
- The Village Pharmacy, Meiklejohn Centre, Unit 3 Kingswood Way, Great Denham, Bedford MK40 4GH
- Meiklejohn Pharmacy, 141-143 Harrowden Road, MK42 0RU
- Janssens Pharmacy,28 Ampthill Road, Bedford MK42 9HG
- Bromham Pharmacy, Avoca House, Molivers Lane, Bromham, Bedford, MK43 8JT
- Smarta Healthcare, 5 Stephenson Court, Fraser Road, Priory Business Park, MK44 3WJ
The stores were selected based on their ability to deliver large volumes of vaccinations, while allowing for social distancing.
Fiona Garnett, Associate Director Medicines Optimisation, Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group said: “Pharmacies are at the heart of our local communities and the introduction of these new sites will make a big difference to our rollout programme by providing even more local, convenient places for those that are eligible to get their jab.
“We know that patients will value this and that pharmacies can continue to make a significant contribution to the national vaccination efforts.”
To book a jab, residents should access the National Booking System via nhs.uk/covid-vaccination. Both jabs can be booked at once and anyone unable to go online can call 119 for free. Phone lines are available from 7am to 11pm each day.