Bedford Borough Council has just confirmed that some local play parks are opening tomorrow (23 July).
Parks across the Borough will be open in phases, with the following parks included in the first phase:
- Russell Park
- Mowsbury Park
- Addison Howard Park
- Jubilee Park
- Bedford Park
- Goldington Green
- Great Denham Country Park
- Westbourne Gardens
There are 120 play areas across Bedford and council staff have been preparing them all in line with Government guidance to keep the public safe.
This has included removing of some equipment to maintain social distancing.
Additional signage will also be placed around parks to remind users of playing safe and following guidelines when using the play equipment.
These guidelines for play parks and outdoor gym equipment include:
- Stay at home if you or your children are displaying symptoms of coronavirus, and get a test
- Bring hand sanitiser and use it before and after entering the play area
- Bring wipes and wipe down any equipment your children wish to use, before and after use
- Supervise children at all times, with a maximum of 1 parent/carer per child
- Only allow one child on each piece of equipment at a time
- Maintain social distancing
- Do not allow your child to touch their face while in the play area
- Do not eat or drink anything within the play area
- Take away any litter or rubbish that you have
Health officials are also asking parents and carers to limit their play park visit to one hour, so as many people can enjoy them as possible.
If the play area if busy, people are asked to come back another time.
Cllr Charles Royden, Portfolio Holder for Environment said “We made the decision to keep play areas closed due to the high infection rate locally, but we know that the play areas are well-loved and well-used and I am pleased that we are able to start opening them in a safe and controlled way.
“Our parks team will be out monitoring how the play areas are used in this first phase of opening and how well people are sticking to the rules.”
There is no word yet on which parks will be opened next, or how many phases there will be until all play parks are open.